Charlotte County's Courthouse was built in 1822, from plan by Thomas Jefferson. Henry Carrington, one of the Charlotte commissioners, was so impressed by Jefferson's design for the Buckingham County Courthouse that the persuaded Charlotte County to adopt it. The temple-form scheme with its Tuscan portico fulfills Jefferson's ambition to have local governmental institutions housed in models of educated architectural taste. The building was constructed by John Percival and quintessentially Virginian, with its red brick and white classical trim. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, it was still in regular use until 2018 when the new courthouse, built adjacent to it was opened.