Tucker Brother's Store

One of the landmarks of Charlotte Court House has been revitalized by the actions of the Charlotte County APVA.  Proceeds from the Estate of Ellen Mercer Clark Maxwell were used to purchase and restore the old structure.  The 1835 brick store building featured two story columns - two at each end of the portico - which survived until the highway was widened in the late 1950's.  Due to the reduced depth of the porch, the replacement columns were installed closer to the brick store front during the recent renovation.

The Tucker Brother's store lot was developed for commercial use before the 1817 sale.  A small village was established by the Read owners before Charlotte became a county in 1765.  After the establishment of Charlotte County and its courthouse, ads in the The Virginia Gazette mention that a tavern and storehouse were for rent at that site.  Col.Thomas Read, officer in the county militia and deputy clerk of court {1765-1770}, and his mother, Mary Read, owned the property upon the death of Col. Clement Read - her husband and his father.

Property in Marysville, named for Mary Read while she owned the property, earned another name upon the establishment of the United States post office.  The post office was named Charlotte Court House from its very beginning in 1794.  Gradually the official name of the post office replaced Marysville.  From the time of his mother's death, Thomas Read who became Clerk of the Court in 1770 was the sole owner of the village the rest of his life.

Upon his death in 1817 Col. Thomas Read owned all the land in Charlotte Court House.  His heirs surveyed the property and held and auction to sell town lots and wood lots.  The sale included seventeen of the nineteen town lots, two were reserved - one for the public square which included the courthouse and one which included the church.  Another reserved lot contained the town spring.  Town lot number three was purchased by James P. Marshall for $1,100.  The price indicates there was building standing on the lot.  Jame P. Marshall was a business partner with Henry A. Watkins as well as Watkins' son-in-law.  Henry Watkins had a merchants license as early as 1805 and probably occupied the building on lot number three which was valued in 1820 at $550.  In a deed dated February 12, 1819, James P. Marshall and wife sold their purchase at Read's sale to Henry Watkins.

The Store property remained property of Henry A. Watkins until his death in 1848, however the merchant's license was in the name of his son-in-law - James P. Marshall & Company.  At the time of Henry's death, the store was sold to J. W. [Joel W.] and J. P. [John P.) Marshall for $1,350.00.

The firm of J.W. and J.P. Marshall operated the store through the Civil War years and suffered financial ruin.  In 1866 Joel, as surviving partner, and Bettie W. Marshall, as executrix of the John P. Marshall, were forced to sell due to debt.  At that time the sotre was leased to the firm of Marshall, Daniel and Company.  They sold the store, fixtures, furniture and debts to Thomas Pugh, Matthew L. Lacy and other debtors.  Pugh was charged with collecting the debts, and selling the store or renting it until a sale could be made.  In 1867 it was sold to S.P. Daniel and James to Overbey and they took control of the store when the full price was paid.

The firm of Daniel and Overbey began operation of the store in 1870.  Overbey sold out to Daniel in 1874 and moved to Drakes Branch where he purchased an interest in a warehouse.  Samuel P. Daniel died in March of 1881.  The store was rented by Eggleston, Thornton and Company for many years.  During that time it remained property of Mrs. Mary E. Daniel as widow of Mr. Daniel.

In a lawsuit in 1913, the store building was sold to Benjamin F. Jones.  Jones took possession on November 10, 1914.  Benjamin Jones left the store to his three half-brothers by his will in  1931.  The three [Gatewood S. Jones, Preston T. Jones and Charles L. Jones] passed their interest in the building to Mrs. Willie Steger Jones in 1941.  In 1945  Mrs. Jones granted the brick store to Charles L. Jones.  By his will in 1960, Charles L. Jones devised the store property to Mary Charlotte Corson and her husband, Maynard V. Corson.

For many years the store was operated by the Tucker family.  They never owned it.  After the Tucker family ceased to operate the store, the owners sold it in 1962 to the Charlotte County Farm Bureau and the building became an insurance office.

The columns which were and unusual sight on a commercial building were removed when the Highway Department built the new roadway for Route 40 as it passed through the Court House village.  The Charlotte County Branch purchased the structure when the insurance office moved to a new building a short distance away.  One request presented of the renovators was to consider replacing the columns, if possible.  They were able to comply with the request.  Tucker Brothers' Store is now available for meetings and special requests if one contacts the Charlotte County APVA.

Visitor Information

Hours

Open by appointment only

Contact

info@charlottecountyapva.org

What's New

Southsider Coming Soon

What's Happening

2019 Fall Meeting of the Charlotte County APVA

 

 

All images and text are the property of the Charlotte County APVA
To request permission to use anything on this website or to submit comments please contact at Morgan House Media Solutions at morganhousemediasolutions@gmail.com or info@charlottecountyapva.org

 

FOLLOW US:

  • Facebook B&W

© 2017 by Morgan House Media Solutions. Proudly created with Wix.com